Buñuelos (thin fried fritter like dessert)
Serves 8 persons
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cold butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 pinches of baking powder
- 5 – 6 tbl hot water
- 1 cup of cooking oil
- 1/2 cup sugar for dredging
- Sift the flour with the salt and baking powder into a bowl.
- Add butter and incorporate it into the flour using your fingers as in a pie crust then add the water little by little until it forms into a mass that can be rolled. (the texture of soft cookie dough or an ear lobe)
- Take golf ball size pieces and with a rolling pin form circles the thickness of a thin tortilla that you can see your hand through.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and deep fry the buñuelos until golden.
- Hold each buñuelo above the pan to drain a little after cooking and while still hot dredge each one in regular white sugar
- Serve and enjoy.